Some examples of clients/employers
GUARDIAN NEWS & MEDIA
Management position on staff: deputy production editor, project manager, assistant editor (Guardian Weekly).
- Designed GNM’s editorial production system.
- Project managed new section launches, technical change in editorial, and new products such as the award-winning digital edition.
- Feature writing, straight news reports, roundups, etc.
- Subediting and production editing.
- Layout and design work.
- Systems and user interface analysis and consultancy.
- Community moderation.
THE SCOTT TRUST
- Report on digital archiving: policy, workflow, digital preservation.
Scott Trust website
- Advice on website production system
Esterson Associates website
- Producing weekly newsletter.
- Writing occasional articles.
- Stand-in site editor during editor’s absence.
Ideas for functionality, specification work, and documentation work for this publishing software company based in the Netherlands.
- Feature design and specification writing.
- Reviews of specifications written by Woodwing staff.
- Technical consultancy and brainstorming.
- QA and bug testing.
- End user documentation: manuals etc.
- Structuring help pages for user applications provided by Yahoo! UK.
- Writing end user documentation.
Yahoo! UK website
MAIL & GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER
Stint for a few months in Johannesburg as a consultant advising on:
- Design (proposed and helped implement a redesign of the newspaper and website).
- Production methods.
- Use of technology.
Mail & Guardian website
ADOBE SYSTEMS INC
Established long-term business relationships to discuss future software development and systems integration
- Beta testing and functional appraisal.
- Parallel development work under non-disclosure agreements.
- Product development and strategy discussions up to and including board level
Website creation work for many individuals and small business. Examples include:
- The Bridge Bar, Nong Khai, Thailand.
- Saigon Saints football club, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- N-ok shop, Nong Khai, Thailand.
- A dozen or so event-oriented websites for weddings, group ventures, etc.
- Set up blogs for friends and colleagues.